Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sustaining Integrity

The entire trip is approximately 152 miles long; and this distance, according to Google Maps, would take about 2 days and 2 hours to walk. For some perspective, compare this stroll to the Appalachian Mountain Trail at 2178 miles which takes roughly 6 months to complete. We will only be walking for 17 days.

Google Maps states “Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths,” I can not help but giggle a little to myself.

When I was younger and rode lightweight, trickster style bicycles, I’d been one to remove both front and rear brakes and opt for stopping the whole vehicle with the rubber on the sole of my shoe. Sure, I had blown out Chuck Taylor’s and bald tires but, for one reason or the other, accepted both the method and the fashion.

This trip is going to be hard but when compared to what a fellow musician recently deemed “one miserable experience after another” in regards to DIY touring, I anticipate this stretch to be a bit less dependent. I mean dependent on others to make it work, to make it comfortable, and to make it home. I have always wanted to go on a large hike, one wherein my ability to take care of myself was paramount – not like “hey, I found someone who will let me sleep on their couch,” but rather “hey, I just built my house and here I will sleep the night.”

As an artist, the co-existence of both solidarity and solitude is what I’m after here. Many wonderful people have helped to develop this tour, and countless others have assisted TATLMTTW when on the road. I am not thankless to those, but simply need to test limits – my own.

m.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment