Sunday, May 23, 2010

"On the Walking Tour 2010" by Paul Gandy

In just a few days I will be filming, walking, and having a great time with this group of amazing people. Together we will walk the entire state of Massachusetts, stopping each night to perform a show. It is my duty to film the experience and turn the footage into a documentary. I am glad that the group came up with this tour and that they are happily letting me come under the title of “cinematographer”!

Why walk? For me, I am angered about the oil spill that has happened in the Gulf Coast. The United States of America is addicted to comfort and hooked on fossil fuels. I want to make this documentary in hopes that it will show at least one person out there that they can do something that is fun, true to their interests, and make a change.

The Walking Tour comes just after my completion of reading “Planetwalker” by John Francis PhD. John walked America in its entirety, constructed his own boat and sailed to Cuba and Brazil and made his way to Antarctica over the course of walking for twenty-two years. He never stepped foot into an automobile of any sort. Of the first seventeen years of his pilgrimage he did not talk. All the while of not talking and only walking, he earned a Bachelors Degree, Masters Degree, and a PhD in environmental science and land resources. When asked why, his answer is taken from his first hand experience with the Exxon Valdez oil spill in 1971. It was in that moment that he chose to act on reason and protest against the way in which we as a first world nation conducted our livelihoods. I take much inspiration from this man.

In my own thoughts on the Walking Tour, the walk will be a pilgrimage of getting back to the roots of what it means to be human. Each day we will move forward, leaving behind only our footprints instead of a trail of exhaust. Each night the sound of music will leave behind great memories. When it is all done, I hope to have undergone much challenge and I hope that we all will have gained at least one new understanding about life and the world in which we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment